Applying for a job online can be frustrating. Millions of job seekers send in their resumes without ever getting a response. So, you may think, "how can I get noticed?" Simple, you need to use strategies to write your resume to stand out from the rest of the applicants.
Employers receive more job applications than they can handle. Fortune 500 companies have been using specialized software to conduct initial screenings for the past several years. Now, smaller companies are following suit.
If you want to get noticed, it's essential to know how to operate in this new environment. Study these tips and revise your approach.
The Importance of Keywords
1. Understand applicant tracking systems. These software packages use resumes to select candidates who use desired words, such as new media or MBA. Besides your skills, they may consider what colleges you attended and how long you held your last position.
2. Research each company. Look at corporate websites, press releases, and job descriptions, and use some of their exact language in your application and resume. Consider including references to corporate cultures, such as environmentally friendly or quality-driven.
3. Know your industry. Stay up to date in your field. Attend association events. Read the leading publications.
4. Consult a recruiter. Ask a head hunter for advice. Recruiters will have valuable insights into the latest human resources practices and priorities.
5. Edit your materials. Add essential keywords related to your field to your resume and cover letter. Use them in each document's first sentence, so your resume stands out from the rest.
6. Avoid excessive repetition. To avoid overstuffing, use a keyword once for every hundred words. Remember to vary the way you state them. Use popular acronyms, if appropriate.
7. Stick to a simple format. Reduce the risk of having your resume mangled by an automatic program. Put information on separate lines when giving your employer's name, job title, and the number of years you worked at your previous company. You can create your resume with templates online.
8. Keep humans in mind. Remember that a real person will probably review your materials if you make the first cut. Read your application out loud to ensure it makes sense. Check your spelling, grammar, and punctuation because if your resume is full of errors, it's unlikely that you'll be considered.
The Value of Personal Referrals
1. Ask around. Your odds are much better if you can find someone who already works at the company to recommend you or give you inside information. Connect with others through social media or call others in your network.
2. Join a job club. Job clubs are an excellent source for gathering personal referrals and moral support. You can join one on LinkedIn or other social media. If you can't find it, consider starting your own.
3. Help others. Nurture and expand your network by doing favors for others. Additional Suggestions
1. Be selective. Applying for a job can be as easy as clicking a single button. Be candid about whether you have the unique qualities and work experience to distinguish yourself from the rest of a crowded field. Focus your efforts on your best chances.
2. Use a variety of techniques. The most successful job hunters use multiple tactics—experiment with everything from posting your resume online, to answering job ads, to doing volunteer work.
3. Develop patience. Your career plays a significant role in your life. Finding meaningful work that's fitting for you may take a while, so focus on your long-term goals and congratulate yourself on every accomplishment. Positive thoughts will make you happier and more attractive to your future employer.
It's easy for your resume to fall into a black hole when dealing with online job listings. Mastering keywords and deploying personal referrals will help you get more interviews and job offers. Applying these strategies makes you more likely to get noticed and secure your dream job.
If you're interested in having an online job, you should work as a Virtual Assistant. It allows you to work from home and have flexible hours. Apply to our latest job opportunities here and contact us to know how we can help you find the correct position for you.